This veggie loaded casserole has a little bit of everything and is the perfect easy, quick, and healthy weeknight meal! Seasoned roasted vegetables and chicken are layered up with black beans, fresh cilantro, salsa, tortillas, and topped with plenty of cheese! I love the extra flavor and texture that the roasting adds to the vegetables- the roasting method I used in this recipe is my favorite way to cook veggies for any meal! This dish reminds me of my favorite burrito bowls in a casserole form and it is a great way to sneak in lots of veggies for even the pickiest eaters! You can also easily make this meat-less by skipping the chicken. Grab all the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below!
1/2 lb. chicken breast tenderloins
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
for the casserole:
about 8-10 flour tortillas
2 cups salsa (whatever style/brand you prefer)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 can black beans (15 ounces)
4 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while you chop all the vegetables.
2. Combine the vegetables and chicken with the olive oil and spices in a mixing bowl and toss until coated.
3. Spread the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for about 30-35 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through. Roast until the chicken is baked through and veggies are tender and just starting to brown.
4. Remove your roasted mixture from the oven and let cool. Turn down the oven to 350 degrees. Shred the chicken or cut it into bite sized pieces.
5. In a square or small rectangular baking dish start layering your casserole: begin with a flat layer of tortillas covering the whole bottom (you may need to tear some in half too!)
6. Top the tortillas with a thin layer of salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro.
7. Next add half of the black beans.
7. Top the beans with the roasted vegetable and chicken mixture, then top with half the cheese. Repeat until you have filled you dish or until you run out of ingredients but be sure to finish with a cheese layer with some fresh cilantro on top!
8. Cover with alluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until heated through, removing the foil for the last 10 minutes.